UCSF Campus and Health
Under the general direction of both the Transfer Center and Patient Placement Supervisor, this position requires working in the capacity of both Principal Admitting Worker for Transfer Center functions and as Patient Placement Coordinator for Patient Placement functions. The Principal Admitting Worker duties include screening all incoming patient transfers to UCSF Medical Center, processing transfer requests and admissions, confirming insurance eligibility, follow-up on inpatient authorization, and counseling patients and their families regarding their financial liability.
All Financial Counselors / Admitting Workers have a critical influence on a patients’ health care experience in our Medical Center and must act as an ambassador of services. The incumbent is responsible to meet patient needs, demonstrating a willingness to learn new skills, and fostering a harmonious work environment in which high-quality patient care and customer service are consistently provided. Team members promote a cooperative working relationship with each other, physicians, other disciplines, and the public by facilitating and enhancing communication, displaying honesty and respect, displaying sensitivity to cultural differences, and expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner.
Financial Counselor duties include screening and assigning patient liabilities for all emergent, urgent, and self-pay patients, confirming insurance eligibility and benefits, and securing authorizations. The Financial Counselor counsels patients and/or their families regarding their financial liability secures deposits on self-pay and/or collects patient liability portions routine/elective admissions. The incumbent will serve as the first point of contact for incoming requests for patient transfer and direct admits to UCSF Medical Center.
Transfer Center duties include completing Transfer Center intake, registration information, and financial clearance. Patient Placement Coordinator duties include performing admission reconciliation for the units, patient class updates, and financial clearance. Serve as the first point of contact to assist with time-sensitive issues related to patient flow requiring ‘Grand Central’ knowledge and expertise of admission, transfer, discharge system functionality.
- AA degree or equivalent years of related experience and education
- Two (2) years experience at the Sr. Admitting Worker or comparable level
- Proficiency in health insurance eligibility and authorization requirements
- Proficiency in reimbursement financial policies
- ADT experience required, knowledge of office machines; typing 30 wpm. Must have basic PC skills
- Ability to problem solve; ability to analyze data and recommend changes
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to follow instructions; work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment
- Analytically and grammatical skills are necessary to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Articulate and concise oral communication and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Must have strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a culturally diverse staff and patient/family population.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- This position requires flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations.
- Bilingual capability
- Previous experience in a hospital setting
- Basic knowledge of Medical Terminology
- Knowledge of government program regulations, MediCal, Medicare, MIA, CCS, and other third-party payors
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: