Clinical Lab Scientist Supervisor
Under the general direction of the SCM Manager, the incumbent is responsible for the supervision of personnel in the Specimen Collection and Management division of the ZSFG Clinical Laboratory. This includes specimen processing, telephone inquiry and phlebotomy. Responsible for managing and coaching a team of hospital laboratory technicians in a fast-paced environment; maintain adequate staffing levels by scheduling coverage and evaluating workload for 24 hour/7 day operation; assist in updating existing procedures and teaching procedures to employees; assist with quality assurance and performance/process improvement. Collaborate and coordinate with all divisions of the Clinical Laboratory and with all related services at ZSFG, affiliated Hospitals, health centers, clinics and out-reach clients. Assure optimal safety and efficiency of all functions supervised. Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies.
To see the salary range for this position (we recommend that you make a note of the job code and use that to look up): TCS Non-Academic Titles Search (ucop.edu)
Please note: The compensation ranges listed online for roles not covered by a bargaining unit agreement are very wide, however a job offer will typically fall in the range of 80% – 120% of the established mid-point. An offer will take into consideration the experience of the final candidate AND the current salary level of individuals working at UCSF in a similar role.
For roles covered by a bargaining unit agreement, there will be specific rules about where a new hire would be placed on the range.
To learn more about the benefits of working at UCSF, including total compensation, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
The Clinical Laboratory at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital is a UCSF clinical department and provides laboratory testing services for inpatients and outpatients of Zuckerberg San Francisco General or ZSFG, Laguna Honda Hospital, District Health Centers and other facilities under the auspices of the SF Public Health Department. This position performs all duties in a manner that denotes the team concept and reflects the UCSF and ZSFG mission, vision and values.
Note: $10,000 sign-on bonus for new employees. For questions, please send email to [email protected].
- Bachelor’s Degree in a chemical, physical or biological science or medical technology (clinical laboratory science) from an accredited institution and minimum of 5 years directly related experience, including 3+ years lead/supv/mgr experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4+ years work experience as a Licensed CLS performing testing
- Recent (within the last 5 years) experience performing or supervising testing in a clinical lab
- Considerable knowledge of clinical laboratory testing
- Considerable knowledge of common and required quality management practices related to clinical laboratory testing
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Possess computer skills adequate to perform the position responsibilities
- Possess excellent skills in interpersonal communication, customer service, and conflict management
- Able to critically analyze information relevant to the responsibilities of the position and effectively communicate findings both verbally and in written reports
- Able to write clear and understandable technical procedures
- Able to effectively teach, coach, assess competency, and provide high-quality feed-back for staff and students
- Able to effectively facilitate the implementation of process changes in a complex environment
- Able to work independently, under pressure; recognize and resolve problems while maintaining a high level of organization
- Experience in a high-volume computerized lab
- Experience supervising personnel in a collective bargaining environment
- Proficiency with using Sunquest laboratory information system
- Experience with using laboratory-related analytical software programs
- Experience with using electronic document management software
- Possession of a California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License issued by the State Department of Health
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: